Wednesday 18 May 2011

How do you spell discipline (and how do you do it?)

Discipline seems to be a recurring theme this week both in family and business life! It not a word that gets people excited (especially kids) and everyone has their own theory on how much is needed in daily life particularly when it comes to parenting. My theory (which I am trying hard this week to apply) is that discipline and lots of it is VERY NECESSARY in achieving anything! 


Okay first in business - cash flow management. I know, I know pretty exciting stuff! I really hate the term & I hate doing it even more! Somehow I got stuck with the raw end of the bargain & it has become my job! Scary I know! When I worked I always had an accountant to help me manage budgets! Not any more. Discipline in stock management and purchasing and taking the cash and putting it where it needs to go - STRAIGHT AWAY! Keeping a healthy balance sheet. Selling old stock before you buy new stock! Managing with the financial year in mind (for Lodhen that is June to July!) Yes so discipline and focus with money is highly necessary if you want to achieve your financial goals! It's only with a strong application of financial discipline that you can run a profitable business. That is so obvious it's embarrassing to write but its a lot lot harder to do! I think I have a system in place now its only a matter of keeping it up!


And on the family front - my little girl needs more discipline! As the family grows - it dawns on you the growing need for more discipline! Life just becomes impossible - things become unsafe, noisy, messy, unbearable! if kids don't do what their parents tell them. Tara is learning about tough love this week I am afraid! Late slips for school, bedroom time, being banned from her next door favourite play date! I am the adult responsible for Tara and Norbu and their safety and well being. This is compromised when she does not do exactly as I tell her (you know flying on swinging ropes with 18 month old wanting to join in and a few other kids running around too!). In the end its better for her. If I don't discipline her no one else will (I have to say that this becomes harder when parents have very different parenting styles - like say Lodhen and I!), she will have no friends or social skills and she won't be able to achieve the things she wants in life! 


Note to self: I am in control and I will stay in control of our business finances, the family budget and MY DEAR CHILDREN by the application of daily discipline!


Okay that's enough of the rant on discipline! I just hope I can continue to apply it in my life.


Here are some cute warm beanies I found this week I want to give one to all the little kids I know one!



No comments:

Post a Comment